Thursday, August 10, 2006

I'm in the final

Cast your mind back to Thursday 10th August 2006, 6pm. I don't know if you remember where you were, but I know exactly where I was - in a bar in Manchester after a rare shopping trip with my neighbour Chris. I knew it was the BBC GOTY panel's decision day and when the producer, Andrew rang me on my mobile I just knew straight away that I had made it. (I've done enough interviewing to know that you phone the successful candidate the day you decide, and make the 'sorry no' calls later). And yes, I was in the last 5.

Chris was beside himself with glee and I couldn't stop grinning. I was a bit shaky too, to be honest. It takes a lot to knock me sideways, but I was completely gobsmacked.

On the way home the realisation of what I'd got myself into started to hit home. I'd never designed a whole garden in one go before, I've always had the time to take an evolutionary approach. And my very first project would be performed under the unforgiving scrutiny of several BBC cameras and an audience of about 1 million. Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker