Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The result.

The first thing I noticed when our ragged group of 10 gardeners and helpers walked back towards our gardens was how many people were lining the road. All the BBC crews, support staff, caterers and runners were there. By the gardens were the householders, neighbours and the judges in a little huddle. Up high in the neighbouring houses, people were stood on balconies and watching out of windows.

Joe was waiting for us and gathered us into a tight group, facing him. It felt oddly like a firing squad and in a way, it was.

'I'm going to read out the results in reverse order' he announced.
There was a sharp intake of breath. There wasn't just going to be a winner, there was going to be a 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd. We would be picked off one by one.

'In 5th place, Mike'. That seemed so tough, his brief had been by far the worst and he had had so much less preparation time than the rest of us.

In 4th place, Kirby'. Kirby had said he'd not done well on the tests - it seemed he he was right.

'In 3rd place, Martin'. That surprised me - I had him tipped as a potential winner. He was the dark horse amongst us - quiet, but clever and focussed.

That just left Lorraine and I. We were stood shoulder to shoulder in the front row. In a moment I immediately regretted, I whispered 'It's you'. She stood stiffly, eyes straight ahead.

'In second place, Lorraine'.

I remember turning round, away from Joe, hands over my face.
I remember Lorraine's shoulders slumped when her name was read out.
I remember hearing shouting, drowning out Joe reading out my name.
I remember thinking I've won, I've won, confirming it to myself to make it feel real.
I remember turning to Hazel, thanking her and telling her how proud I was of her.

Things felt very messy after that. I kept wishing someone would tell me what I was supposed to do, wishing Dennis would stop the cameras and explain what was going to happen next. But the cameras kept rolling. I said a few stilted words and we all shuffled off into my garden.

On the little patio set that Chris and I had bought 4 days before stood the trophy and a bottle of champagne. I can't remember anything clearly. Who handed me the trophy - was it Dennis's assistant, Len or was it Joe? There was a pause - was I supposed to say something more? I stumbled through a few more sentences and was hugely relieved when the watching group of residents clapped and I could step into the crowd.

The next thing I remember is the three judges, Rachel de Thame, Adam Pascoe and Andy Sturgeon gathered around me, asking about the garden. There was a camera a few inches away and a boom mike overhead. Rachel asked me how I'd feel about leaving it behind after all that work. I said it was the clients' garden, not mine and I was ready to hand it over. We chatted for a few minutes and then I remember saying that I was taking up too much of their time and sent them away to talk to the other finalists.

I sneaked away and called my husband. 'I won', I whispered. 'Wow' he said 'Well done'. The phone battery beeped three times and died.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker